Welcome to the Stronghold HD Mac game page. The HD version of the game is already Native available for Mac on GOG.com for up to Mac OS Mojave 10.14.x. When you have Mac OS 10.15 Catalina or Higher, then you can still play this game by “porting” it. You can port games using Porting Kit (free), or the commercial (more professional software) Crossover or Parallels Desktop (a very easy to use Virtual Machine with Windows 11) both have a 14 day trial period. Feel free to use the application which fits you best or use a combination of the 3 apps. If you like Stronghold, then Stronghold Crusader HD is native for Mac as well!
Install/Porting is simple:
1. Get Porting Kit or Crossover if you don’t have it yet.
2. Because GOG.com recognizes the OS in your game library, you have to change OS version to “windows”
3. Then download the GOG.com setup files from Stronghold HD from GOG (offline backup setup installer files).
4. Then in Porting Kit search the game on the library –> server tab and click install.
5. After installation of the game, “exit” the GOG installer.
6. Click “Play” to start the game! Have fun!
Alternatively there is also Parallels Desktop (a very easy to use Virtual Machine with Windows 11 (free trial of 14 days)) where the game will work fine as well. More info about that up here: https://www.paulthetall.com/parallels-desktop/
Stronghold Crusader HD is a journey into distant Arabian lands, renowned for brave warriors and fearsome weaponry. This highly anticipated successor to the best-selling Stronghold combines the finest aspects of a City Builder and RTS. Lead a determined group of Crusaders, forged by centuries of barbaric warfare or join the Saladin, Sultan of Syria amidst the haze of the desert heat
Additional Port Information:
OSX 10.7.5 and 10.8.2+ compatible?: yes
Whats tested: Playing 4 missions
Does Multiplayer work?: yes, in combination with Hamachi
Known Issues: When quitting a multiplayer game it will freeze the game. Use cmd + alt + q to quit the game
Whats not tested: Intel graphical cards
Technical support: Porting Kit FAQ
Instruction video Crossover
Porting Kit install tutorial